More about babies

So, Athena’s babies were teeny and for the first 24hrs I was checking on them every 2 hrs. Yes, I mean through the night as well. In fact, through the night most importantly. Especially for poor Gita. At 1lb 4oz, she didn’t have a lot to keep her warm. And poor Athena, to have triplets for your first time!


So, the first day and night passed without event. The babies mostly slept the whole time (not an exciting time, like many human babies). By the next day, they were up and about a bit.


Yeah, baby goats aren’t the easiest to get awesome pics of.


So, with everyone nursing and doing what babies are supposed to be doing, I could be a little less worried. Bit of course, I wasn’t letting my guard down. These guys were different from the Icelandic lambs I had had before. The lambs were up and running in minutes and of course, once they were cleaned off, they came with a bit of a wool coat.


When I went out for the 11 pm check, all was well… or was it? It seemed that Gita was shivering. The temps had dropped and more than that, a cool mist had rolled in. Well, so much for sleep. I set the alarm for two hour intervals and went to try to sleep.


Now, you might be wondering why I didn’t step in at that point and it’s a reasonable question. For me, it’s best if mums and babies can sort things out themselves. I know she wasn’t super cold, she was curled up with her brothers, and mum had been attentive. I didn’t want to interfere unless I had to. Premature interference by people is, in my opinion, a huge problem across the board when it comes to livestock. We want to feel part of things so we’re quick to pull babies instead of letting mums do their work, we interfere and feed them food that’s not best for them because it’s what works for us, we micromanage their parenting, etc.


I also knew that two hours would be fine. Even if she got really chilled, I could warm her without too much trouble. It was damp and cold and while I’d be uncomfortable sleeping out without a sleeping bag, I wouldn’t come to harm (that’s part of how I gauge these things).



A little cutie in the house.
A little cutie in the house.

Yep, that’s her two hours later at the 1 am check. It didn’t hurt my feelings at all.

At the 3 am check, we watched a show while she got warmed up:

Cuddling goat style.
Cuddling goat style.


And then, once the shivering had stopped, she was ready to explore.


A good dog is worth more than his weight in gold and other precious things.
A good dog is worth more than his weight in gold and other precious things.


At the five am check she was curled up with mum and sleeping well so I left well enough alone and slept blissfully until 7:30.


The morning brought a warmer sun and a fresh day, as well as a bit more size on the young lady. I did check every two hours but she was doing ok:

All curled up in the house.
All curled up in the house.


So, other than stumbling out every couple of hours to check on them, I had little to do. When all was well at the 3am check, I decided to turn the 5 am alarm off and slept right through to 7. Bliss.


All the while Rosebud the Cranky looked on, irritated by the little beings around here and massively pregnant herself. An established mum who is known to twin, I was expecting her to go any day. I just hoped that I would get one full night before she did!


Up next – Athena’s babies continue to grow and explore (and irritate their mum). Rosebud continues to grow in size and eventually…

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s